News & Events

Radon is a naturally occuring, cancer causing, radioactive gas you can't see, smell, or taste.  Long-term exposure to high levels of radon can be dangerous to your health. Thankfully SENCA is licensed with the State of Nebraska as a radon measurement and mitigation agency.


Radon is produced when uranium, thorium, and radium break down in soil, rock, and water, thereby releasing radon gas into the air.  Radon can accumulate in some places where ventilation is inadequate, such as in an underground mine as well as buildings, including your home.

The air pressure inside your home is usually lower than the pressure in the soil around your home's foundation.  Because of this difference in pressure, your house acts like a vacuum, drawing radon in through foundation cracks and other openings.  Your home then traps the radon inside, where it can build up.

Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, according to EPA estimates. Overall, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer.  Radon is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year.  Approximately 2,900 of these deaths occur among people who have never smoked.

Unfortunately Nebraska has a very high prevalence of radon in homes. One out of every two radon tests conducted in the state is elevated.  Homes with an annual average radon level at or above 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) should be mitigated to reduce radon levels.  Reducing radon levels in your home requires technical knowledge and skill, which typically involves hiring a radon mitigation contractor. 

Thankfully, SENCA is licensed with the State of Nebraska as a radon measurement and mitigation agency.  Homeowners and renters receive a full home inspection and quote for mitigation services.  An average cost of home mitigation is $1,200, however those costs can vary.  Landlords are required to contribute $250 towards the cost of the mitigation.

Financial assistance is available based on a sliding fee scale to those who can't afford to pay. To qualify, household income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty line to be eligible for financial assistance.

For more information or to schedule an inspection please call 402-862-2411 and speak to Josh at extension 119 or Gin at extension 104.