Great Western Donates $5,000 to SENCA Programs and Services

Great Western 5000 donation 10.20 2
SENCA) would like to recognize a $5,000 donation received from Great Western Bank, representing the Falls City and Nebraska City locations. 

The donation will help provide much needed emergency assistance for economically challenged households in both Richardson and Otoe County, as well as provide support for local SENCA SMART (Strategic Money and Resource Techniques) events.

Pictured L to R:  Lori Thompson, GWB Personal Banker; Vicky McNealy, SENCA Executive Director and Joleen Stoller, GWB Branch Manager.
 
The emergency assistance program provided by SENCA is essential for households experiencing an emergency situation and are in need of food, rent and/or utility assistance.  Households who qualify for emergency assistance are entered into case management and are required to meet with a trained Family Development Associate/Specialist for a minimum of six months.  During that time individuals receive one-on-one assistance with establishing goals, budgeting, money management and nutrition. Individuals and families can also benefit from additional agency programs and services designed to reduce poverty and promote self-sufficiency.  
 
SENCA SMART provides an opportunity for 8th and 12th grade students in participating schools to have access to this unique, one day financial education event.  SENCA SMART includes a two hour Poverty Simulation, staffed by community volunteers, followed by a two-to-three hour classroom curriculum that meets the Nebraska State Standards of Education.  Outcomes are determined by a pre/post-test. Since the programs implementation during the 2011/2012 school year, 3,666 students have participated, with an average 83% increasing their overall skill and knowledge by an average 26%.   
 
As a private non-profit 501 (c) 3 corporation, SENCA receives 75% of agency funding from competitive federal and state grants that are program specific. The remaining 25% of funding needed to effectively operate the agency is derived from private donations, grants and the annual benefit golf tournament.  As a result of generous donations from community partners, such as Great Western Bank, SENCA continues the work of improving lives and strengthening communities throughout southeast Nebraska.